Finding the right web development firm for your business is extremely daunting- it’s an important decision and you want to make sure the firm can take care of all your technical and aesthetic requirements while ensuring you have a solid foundation from the get-go. There are a variety of factors to take into consideration when vetting any web development agency, so it is important to ask the right questions during the buying process to ensure you are setting your business up for success.
WHY YOU NEED A WEB DEVELOPMENT FIRM
Digital properties have become the face of companies and enable you to interact with customers from anywhere. When a potential customer lands on your homepage you have 10 seconds to sell your company. Further, user expectations have never been higher for a solid UI/UX experience online. 38% of people will actively stop engaging with a website or turn away immediately if the content/layout is unattractive. Developing a website not only takes time, but also substantial technical expertise. It may make sense depending on your business goals and team to outsource some or all of your web development needs to a firm.
WHY YOU NEED A WEB DEVELOPMENT FIRM NOW
Choosing the wrong development firm or delaying essential upgrades to your site can severely damage the long-term success for your business. It’s hard, and in some instances impossible, to go back in time and correct web development mistakes made because you didn’t properly choose the right web development partner or worse put off the updates that your site absolutely required. The upfront costs associated with web development, while substantial, are well worth it to ensure your business’ online presence is attracting customers and supporting overall business goals.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS WHEN CHOOSING A WEB DEVELOPMENT FIRM
Choosing the wrong web development agency can have devastating consequences that can impact your business long after you’ve gotten rid of them. This is why it is of the utmost importance to ask the right questions when considering any web development firm. We can help you identify the best firm for your needs, budget, and growth goals.
Here are some considerations to take into account when vetting any web development shop:
- Do you have relevant experience? What type of clients have you worked with in the past and what have deliverables looked like?
- What are your core services and what type of coding capabilities do you have?
- Could you explain your coding framework? What guarantee do you have for the quality of your work? If something goes wrong, what does support look like?
- What type of QA process do you have in place?
- What does pricing look like? Is it per contract basis, hourly, etc.?
- What is the process for feedback and communication look like?
- Do you outsource your coding capabilities or are they done in-house?
Questions the Web Development Agency May Ask You:
- When do you need this project completed by?
- What does your budget for this project look like?
- (if UX design) Do you have examples of designs and styles that you like?
- What type of technology are you currently employing?
- How frequently do you want to check in on the project?
The price of web development greatly varies depending on the complexity, scope, and time needed to complete the project/projects. Rates can be either hourly or project based. While higher hourly rates can be intimidating, consider the costs associated with cleaning up the mess of an incompetent web development firm. Be sure to have a clear understanding of your goals and requirements when evaluating a web development firms RFP.
As mentioned above this largely varies based on pricing model and expectations. Determine what your business goals are and what your budget specifications are to determine which pricing model and contract terms make the most sense for you.
Ask to speak with businesses in similar industries, of similar size, and with similar web development needs. If possible, try to find a client that they may not list as a reference to evaluate their work.