Email marketing should be one of the most important aspects of your business’ marketing strategy, but with hundreds of email marketing software options, choosing the best one for your needs isn’t always the easiest. By understanding your email marketing needs and technical requirements, you can better compare email marketing software features and pick the email marketing software provider that makes the most sense for your business.
WHY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT EMAIL MARKETING SOFTWARE
A customer’s email inbox is one of the most valuable marketing channels your business has. 91% of users check their email once or more per day with 66% of those users checking their email multiple times throughout the day. The competition for top of mind awareness is incredibly crowded with consumers receiving an average of 416 commercial related emails per month, but the ROI generated makes it more than worth cutting through the clutter. In fact, for the past 10 years, email has been the channel that generates the highest ROI- for every $1 spent on email marketing, $38 is generated in ROI.
WHY YOU NEED EMAIL MARKETING SOFTWARE NOW
Sending marketing emails from your personal email account can become unruly very quickly, so its best to switch to an email marketing system early on. The sooner you can set up an email marketing software, the quicker you can begin to track the effectiveness of your emails and begin to segment users based on your growth goals.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS WHEN CHOOSING EMAIL MARKETING SOFTWARE
There are a variety of factors that go into choosing an email marketing software including but not limited to types of integration needed, newsletter capabilities, triggers, and price. It’s important to understand what types of emails you will need to send before selecting an email marketing software. We can help you identify the best one for your needs, budget, and growth goals.
Here are some top considerations to think about when purchasing an email marketing software:
- Who is your target audience? How large is your current list? How do you plan to segment them? Will you need help managing your list?
- What type of content will you be sending them? Will you need to personalize content based on different types of users? Can the email marketing software accommodate these needs?
- Do you need lifecycle capabilities or auto-responders? Will you be leveraging drip campaigns?
- How frequently will you be emailing your customers?
- What level of support will you need?
- Will you be using HTML templates? If so, will you need an email software program that is more drag and drop or can you code them yourself?
- What integrations will you need? Is there other software that you use that will need to work with the email marketing software you choose?
- What type of analytics will you need?
- What is your price range?
- Specific to the email platform, what are similar sized/industry type companies that have used it before?
Pricing for email marketing software greatly varies depending on number of contacts you will be sending emails to and frequency of use. While some email marketing software providers have pay as you go options, the majority operate on monthly or annual contacts.
As mentioned above this largely varies based on number of contacts, frequency of use, features, and duration of contract. Determine what your business goals are, what role email marketing plays, and what your budget specifications are to determine which pricing model and what contract terms make the most sense for you.
Speak with businesses in similar industries, of similar size, and with similar email marketing needs. If possible, try to find a client that the email marketing software provider may not list as a reference to evaluate their work.